Sunday, December 13, 2009

Numbers - to use digits or spell out

Another one of my pet peeves is when people spell out numbers that have double or more figures. The convention is to spell out in full numbers zero to nine and then write numbers 10 and onwards in digits. The reasoning for this is, when you get into double or more figures, the written forms of the numbers get longer and longer. It's more concise to use digits.

I had a client who just couldn't cope with me writing 'six-to-12 months'. She asked me for the reasoning and understood it, and she lived with it ... for a little while. But when we got close to print, she asked me to change the phrase to 'six-to-twelve months'. Because she was the client, I made the change, but it pained me to do so!

Yet I do understand where she is coming from. To someone who doesn't live and breathe style conventions, it must look like a mistake to have a number spelled out in full followed by a number written in digits. 'Twelve' isn't a particularly long word. Am I just pedantic? Is there room for flexibility?

1 comment:

  1. I've always enjoyed (!) spelling out numbers and totally agree with the "0 - 9 spell it out" rule ... except for when there's are two numbers, one below 10 and one after 10. I like consistency, and as per my previous post, I try to write in a style that is easiest to read for the audience, so I would write: 6 - 12 months, as this is easier to read than: six to twelve months.

    ReplyDelete